Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 17, 2004

Argh.

Lots of stuff to blog.

So I did move to the new place, and it's better, though loads of things are broken in it. The toilet doesn't flush properly, tiles are coming off the bathroom floor, the drapes don't work, there's ants in the bathroom, and the neighbors are the most obnoxious assholes I've ever met.

But at least there's no mold.

While we were moving out of the old place, we moved the bed away from the wall to bring it over here, and lo and behold, more mold! So the bedroom wall was leaking as well. I informed the office of this, that I've lost all my major furniture now due to their screw-up, and they tried to write me off, saying 'Well, you took the new place, so we're not going to do anything else.' We'll just see about that.

In other news, I started a job at Tim Horton's, which is a coffee place. I hated it my first day, but figured I would stick it out anyway because I needed the money. They gave NO breaks in anything under a 7 hour shift, and the only break you get in an 8 hour shift is 15 minute paid, or 30 minute unpaid. Needless to say, that sucked.

Anyway, I figured I'd stick it out, that is, until I saw my schedule for the next two weeks. See, when I was hired, I was told I'd be a 10 AM person. This worked well with my ride situation, so I could get to work. I'd be a 10 AM person with the OCCASIONAL 6 AM. I said I could do the OCCASIONAL 6 AM, with proper notice. The manager said fine.

But what to my wondering eyes doth appear when I look at my schedule? A full week of 6 AMs. I point out to the manager that I am supposed to be a 10 AM person, with the OCCASIONAL 6 AM. He says if I can't work the hours he schedules me for, I'll have to leave. Since I can't work all those 6 AMs, I put down my little hat and leave.

So much for that.

Things started looking up the other day when I landed an interview with what I thought was the Sierra Club. Here's the ad:

Activism JOBS With the SIERRA CLUB & other groups $300-500/week Protect our National Forests! Work with great people! Reduce Air Pollution! Defend Democracy! Work with the Sierra Club on campaigns to protect our forests, and defend the Clean Air Act. Career opportunities and benefits available. Career opportunities and benefits available. Call Alex 734-332-4464 Ann Arbor, MI

Cool, right? I thought so.

I go to the interview and find out it's not actually the Sierra Club, but am led to believe it's something called PIRGIM, which is the Michigan Public Interest Research Group. That's cool, I figure. The guy hires me to be a Field Manager in Training. I am stoked, thinking I've finally landed a good job, working for the environment, and manager to boot! I'm told I'll make between 300 and 500 dollars a week. I'm told the hours are 1 in the afternoon to 10 PM.

So I go for my first day, my training day, which I find out is UNPAID. I work from 12:30 in the afternoon til about 10 PM. I don't get home til 11:30 because I have to take the bus. And I had to leave at 11:30 AM to get there in time. So it was a long day.

In my interview, I was told we'd be doing all sorts of things: press conferences, canvassing, media relations, fundraising drives, blah blah. On my first UNPAID day, I find out that we only do canvassing. Lots and lots of canvassing. Oh, and the pay isn't really 300-500 a week. It's 250 a week, base pay, and the rest comes from commissions. Oh wait, I mean that's 250 a week base pay, IF YOU MEET THE QUOTA every day, which is raising 110 bucks a night. If you don't make the 110, you get half of what you raise, which could very well work out to about a 5 dollar paycheck in the end.

So figuring I always make quota, working 9 hours for 250 a week works out to about....5.55/hour. Hmmm.

So I do the job that day anyway. We walk and walk and walk and walk some more. Then I'm sent out on my own to collect money. I raise something like 100 bucks on my own. The girl I am training with ends up with that commission. I kill my feet. I end up wandering around in the dark in a strange neighborhood by myself, since we canvass til 9 PM every night. When I ask the girl I am training with if we go in pairs in the dark, she says no. Does that sound safe to you? Wandering around, alone and female, in a neighborhood you've never been to, knocking on strangers' doors and asking for money? No, I think not.

So, after asking a few more questions about the job, I find out I'm not even working for PIRGIM. I'm working for the FUND for PIRGIM. Oh. Hm.

Oh yeah, and we don't actually get out of the office at 10. Sometimes it's 10:30. Sometimes it's 11. Sometimes it's later than that. So, I could be killing myself for over 12 hours a day for somewhere around 4 dollars an hour.

Yeah.

And as Field Manager, I'll only be making an extra 25 bucks a week, which I won't get, if my crew doesn't all make quota.

So what sounded like a really great job turned into horrible shit in the span of a day, and I won't be going back. I'll also be asking the Sierra Club if they realize how their fundraisers are treated.

Stay tuned...


link | posted by Zombie at 7:52 PM |


0 Comments:

Ve Haf Vays of Making You Post a Comment.