Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, November 13, 2006

Oh, It Looks So...Shiny.

Well, I just gave in and switched over to the Blogger Beta.

It actually looks much better than the old Blogger, but we'll see how that goes. Not that there's anything I'll actually do if I happen to hate the Blogger Beta. Except, y'know, complain a lot.

The idea of switching over to something like TypePad or, gawd forbid, WordPress, makes me do a bit of the slanty eye.

Such things are too fancy for the likes of me. I'm goofy like that.

For instance, I am a caveman that still builds websites using NotePad. I know, I know. You'd think this would be a handicap, but it's actually one of the things that landed me my current job.

When Coworker #1 was interviewing me, she said, "So, you do web design."

Me: Yeah.

Coworker #1: What editor do you use?

Me, mumbling: Uhm...NotePad.

Coworker #1: What? I couldn't hear you.

Me, clearing my throat: Note. Pad.

Coworker #1: Really?

Me: Well. Yes. Sorry.

Coworker #1: ME TOO.

And then we had a geeky moment of shared love where we disdainfully discussed WYSIWYGs and sanctimoniously spat on the specter of Dreamweaver and bonded over the wonders of NotePad and all of that.

You see, I first learned to fiddle with web design via NotePad, and that is what I am used to, and that is what I like. If you sit me down in front of Dreamweaver, I can maybe figure out how to do something, but it's not likely. All the bells and whistles tend to confuse me, and after about five minutes, I just want to lay down and cry until someone lets me have my NotePad back.

And so it is with Blogger. I started blogging on Blogger and it is with Blogger I shall stay.

I am fiercely loyal when it comes to things like this and therefore am unlikely to give up my death grip on it, as long as it remains available to me.

I still reserve the right to sneer at anyone that blogs on Xanga or LiveJournal, though. Plebes.

Now, hardware is another story. When it comes to hardware, I have no such caveman tendencies. I may be designing a website with NotePad, but I'll be damned well doing it on the best system I can afford at any given time.

The only loyalties I cling to when it comes to hardware are brand loyalties. For instance, I am an AMD CPU girl all the way. Oh, AMD, I love your CPUs so.

And so, it was with great pleasure that I made my latest acquisition:

It's like an orgasm. In a box. Sort of.


I actually got this beast a couple of weeks ago, but I just now noticed I had a picture of it on my camera, so now I'm posting it.

Also, don't you LOVE my black and purple 'Roos? I'm so fashion-forward.

Anyway, back to the important things. This is my new laptop. His name is Bob. Bob is totally awesome.

He has not replaced my love for Frankencomp, though, of course. As it turns out, just as you end up having enough love for more than one child, you can also have enough love for more than one computer.

I didn't know that it was possible before Bob came to live with me, but it is true.

I am going to try really hard to prevent having one of them become the red-headed stepchild, though. I can see it in my head - Bob will get jealous that whenever Frankencomp throws a tantrum and shuts down without warning, I will talk to him soothingly and pat him for a while and tell him it's all right, but whenever Bob acts like a brat, I just yell at him because, HELLO, you are BRAND NEW, Bob. You can't be a brat yet. You haven't lived here long enough to prevent me kicking your dead ass out the door and back to the soulless factory you came from, where you might be shipped off to a less loving computer operator who won't bother to learn that your name is Bob. Or maybe Frankencomp gets jealous because I spend too much time lying on the floor with Bob, marvelling at his many fantastic features - features that Frankencomp does not currently possess.

We can't have that. I must be equally loving and understanding to both systems and their feelings.

Yeah, I know I'm nuts. Shut up.

Anyway, as you can see from the box, Bob has an AMD Turion 64 processor in him. This means I can upgrade him to the Longhorn, if I so desire. Or, I guess it's the Vista these days. Whatever they're calling it now. I don't think I desire to do this any time soon, but I love that I have the option. I am all about options, people.

He also has the DDR2 533 RAM. Even though he has only one 512 stick of said RAM, he is fast as all hell. Every time I boot him up, I want to cry a little. I am contemplating getting another 512 stick when my finances allow for it, but this might cause a seizure every time I boot Bob up, so I should maybe hold off.

Bob also has the XP Media Center, which I have decided does not suck at all and therefore may stay. And? I can hook Bob up to my TV and record stuff. His HDD is of a decent size for what I paid and his screen is most becoming to look at.

Yay for Bob!

Oddly enough, EB and I separately acquired the exact same laptop within like, a week or so of each other. Except my CPU is better (nyah nyah!). Obviously, we both have excellent taste.

So, welcome to Chez Zombie, Bob. We (and by "we," I mean "me," only more grammatically correct) are happy to have you.


link | posted by Zombie at 8:57 PM |


1 Comments:

Anonymous Hunter commented at 12:41 PM~  

Wordpress isn't that fancy. It seems to be less fancy, to me, because I actually had to know a little more about what I was doing to get my site to look the way it does.

Also, while I generally prefer using WordPad for most things code-writey [because NotePad won't let me use CTRL-crap to get places "AND FAST!"], the non-WYSIWIG part of Dreamweaver has been helpful, with its line-numbers and it's helpful 'you totally fucked up somewhere after this point, figure it out' colour-coding. It seems that most people can't find that part of Dreamweaver, though, so I laugh at you all. Ha.

Also, when I'm writing on The Laptop of Suck and Woe, I'll often load up Microsoft Word, because, hey, it autosaves and recovers stuff, and you need that shit when you're on a machine that will lock up at a cross-eyed glance.

Ve Haf Vays of Making You Post a Comment.